Gun Club
Follow Us On:

Fire ants and black widow spiders

Anything to do with the VCGHC and this forum

Fire ants and black widow spiders

Postby scubabob » Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Had a good time at the range today, firing my favorite .223 weapon. I pick up the casings after checking the targets. Two not so good things happened today. First, after picking up some casings, I got some pain in my fingers. Looking down, I noticed fire ants in the process or about to sting my fingers and hand. After killing the ants, I got a closer look as to what was going on. As the casings were dropping to the ground, they would stir up some fire ants who would climb on the casings and start stinging them. Bottom line, take care to knock the casings around a little before picking them up. I was using the large bay adjacent to the shipping container that contains all of the target hardware. Second, the gun was ejecting casings onto the side berm, between the bay and the shipping container. Be very careful if you pull casings off of that berm. As I started to reach for some casings, I noticed a black widow spider sitting in her cluster web. With only a little more looking, I spotted two more. I was able to crush one outright and bury the other two.

I am not sure what to do about this spider problem. Any thoughts?
scubabob
Site Admin

Re: Fire ants and black widow spiders

Postby SBeery » Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm

I'll get some more Amdro Fire Ant Killer and ask around at Lowes to see what they may have for Spiders too.
thanks for the heads up.
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
"Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body"
SBeery
Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to General