Gun Club
Follow Us On:

Concealed Carry Q & A

Issues regarding concealed carry

Concealed Carry Q & A

Postby SBeery » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:46 pm

This topic is for all of those "what if" scenarios involving or pertaining to Florida Concealed Carry Laws, issues, or subject matter relating to Florida statues 790.06 and Florida statues 776
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
"Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body"
SBeery
Chief Range Safety Officer

Re: Concealed Carry Q & A

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 am

This pertains to imprinting. I have seen a lot of comments elsewhere regarding which holsters conceal better, etc. A lot of talk pertains to seeing any imprint in your pocket. My question is, why is that such a big deal, I mean, is it a legal issue if people (looking hard enough) assume that you gave a gun in your pocket? I don't get it.

Besides, even if someone thought you had a gun on your person, are they really going to be so tacky as to ask you? If it's a bad guy, I'm sure he would target you first though. That's the only thing I can think of. Thanks, Ray
Ray

Postby cesaryw » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 am

In some states ( not Florida ), printing is illegal. You got the biggest reason; if the bad guys come in to 7-11 while you're buying a gallon of milk, you get shot first, then the store clerk.

Bill
Peace is Our Profession; War is just a Hobby
cesaryw

Postby Mr.StephenChoquette » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am

Floridas "brandishing laws are pretty harsh and it gives the LEO alot of room to work.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.--If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.

The "careless" part is one of those interpretive ones. ;-)

But I completely agree with the thought process of why would you want to let the bad guys know you have a firearm. Kinda like the old statement "When they hear me rack my pump shotgun they will get the point" I love this one. I perosnally do not want anyone in my house at 2am to hear or see me. The only thing they should see is my 125 lumen strobe light on the front of my firearm! :o

Plus there is a whole topic concerning who, when, where, and why to escalate a situation.
Mr.StephenChoquette

Postby scubabob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:29 am

The other day I saw a fellow at the Smyrna Taco Bell with what looked like a sheathed 4 inch knife on his belt. A pulled-out, button up shirt was only partially covering it. Any movement showed a good 50%.

1. Is this a weapon that can be concealed without a CWP?
2. Would he be in violation of the "careless" clause and risk losing the CWP if a a man-with-a-knife situation arose?
3. It was not apparent, but if he was an LEO, do all of the rules go out the window?
scubabob
Site Admin

Postby Mr.StephenChoquette » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, as long as the blade is fixed and only sharp (has and edge) on one side it can be worn in a sheath visible without a permit. So when you see a biker with a bowie type knife on his hip in a sheath walking around its leagle as long as it has one edge only. As far as the 50% concealed thats a different story. A leo could argue that it was not in plain view and therefore consider it a concealed weapon. If he has a CWp that would be more of an issue I would think (can of worms type)
I also think its funny how the stature stats a "commen pocketknife" is not a concealed weapon but leaves it up to teh LEO on scene to determine wether it is tactical or commen. The you also run into the length of said pocketknife and all the ways new and old that a LEO checks that. LOL
Like I tell all my students. Act and Dress like a respectable human being and alot of these things will go your way with LEO's You dress like a thug or an extra from Mad Max or give the LEO backtalk and the "grey area" becomes as wide as the grand canyon and you are the burro with the broken leg down in it and the LEO is the guy in the Helicopter with the 308!
Mr.StephenChoquette

Postby scubabob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 pm

So what's I'm hearing is that if the guy didn't have a CWP, it's a violation (visible weapon where there is the intent to conceal). If he did have a CWP, then it could be considered careless, which is another can of worms. Loser both ways.

They guy didn't look like one of Tina Turner's bodyguards. :) Not like that's a bad thing ya know. The bodyguard part.
scubabob
Site Admin

Postby Mr.StephenChoquette » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

As stated in my above post.

"Well, as long as the blade is fixed and only sharp (has and edge) on one side it can be worn in a sheath visible without a permit. So when you see a biker with a bowie type knife on his hip in a sheath walking around its leagle as long as it has one edge only"
Mr.StephenChoquette

Postby jgatlin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Beware of the gray area it is a dangerous place.
"Gator needs his gat now! punk ass, bitch!"
jgatlin
Range Safety Officer

Postby SBeery » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:00 am

"They guy didn't look like one of Tina Turner's bodyguards. :) Not like that's a bad thing ya know. The bodyguard part.[/quote]

I thought that was Whitney Houston in the "Bodyguard" LOL :lol:
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
"Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body"
SBeery
Chief Range Safety Officer

Next

Return to Concealed Carry